Instructions to run Capture on VMware's hypervisor ESX or ESXi
Thanks to Lasse Borup for these instructions.
- ESX has to be at least 3.5 update1 and one need to use the VIX 1.5 api, only available as a download via the vmware server 2 beta download page. And if the wrapper library is not used, one needs to make sure the VIX_LIB environment variable is set to the subfolder VIServer-2.0.0 of the topmost VIX folder. (This is on Windows, i think its done differently on linux (if someone has instructions for Linux, please email them to the capture mailing list). There are some problems with the compile_revert_win32.bat script, which were resolved by using "hardcoded" paths instead of the environment variables. (Likely to be attributed to problems with spaces in windows paths).
- Manually copy most of the dll's from the VIServer-2.0.0 folder to the created capture-release, as revert.exe would complain that they were missing.
- In the connect call in revert.c, the parameter VIX_SERVICEPROVIDER_VMWARE_SERVER should be changed to VIX_SERVICEPROVIDER_VMWARE_VI_SERVER.
- In the config.xml file the following changes are needed:
- Instead of writing for example "127.0.0.1" as the address of the vmware server, one has to write " https://127.0.0.1/sdk". The following port number is ignored.
- For the path of the virtual machine, the following style is needed: "[storage1] Client/Client?.vmx" where storage1 is the data store containing the machine. Be aware of the space af the data store name.